Skip to main content

Book Review: Crochet Stars by Noreen Crone-Findlay

 Noreen has long been an inspiration to me because of her many books, her kind and vibrant personality, and her willingness to share her creativity with everyone!

Crochet Stars is no exception! The star is a universal symbol that conjures many emotions including fantasy, amazing hopes/dreams, and guidance. As Noreen points out, "Humans have always used stars to navigate." As you navigate through this book's dynamic design, colorful and clever projects, you too may find comfort from sorrow or the pleasant moments that creating brings!

Noreen has created over "25 customizable projects full of love, laughter and inspiration." As you crochet your way through the patterns Noreen has skillfully provided, you will find the "glimmer effect" that she has inspired you to create for every room of your home.

From a tragic family loss, Noreen has "crafted comfort with her crochet hook as she moves through the difficult path of grief and mourning." Her introduction to each star pattern felt like Noreen was on my couch sharing her rich philosophy of life. I hope you make time every day to gaze at the stars for comfort and to show gratitude for who you are.

Published by Stackhouse Books, Crochet Stars is now available on Amazon

Noreen can be found at:

Facebook: Crone-Findlay Designs

TottieTalksCrafts.com

Instagram: noreen.cronefindlay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

Crochet and Society: How Crochet has Contributed

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 Because I am passionate about crochet and because it plays such an important role in my life. I am constantly “thinking crochet.” I want to bring awareness about crochet to everyone in the world. They don’t necessarily need to achieve the level of passion that I have for the craft, but my dream is that our society in general would come to recognize crochet as a valuable art and craft.  I also want to see the entire genre of crochet planted firmly on a continuum with all the other needle arts as a valuable pastime and art, and for the day to come when society stops confusing it with knitting! I have often joked that I am “covering my world in crochet” and that’s because I think crochet can beautify nature as well as contribute to many aspects of my community. I have been covering rocks for years and I turn them into sculptures or decorative o bjects. Claire Zeisler:  Fragments & Dashes , Threads magazine, Oct/Nov 1985 My first cover