Skip to main content

Finding Peace Part I

Chicago Tribune,  4/9/2003

Making Peace with Yourself (while the country is at war) by Barbara Brotman; Chicago Tribune, April 9, 2003

"Between the war and the economy, there is enough anguishing news to turn a concerned person into a despairing one. How do we navigate a worrisome world without being engulfed by it?" 

Although those words were written in 2003, they are eerily familiar to me today; and, I suppose, to many of you! I have pretty much stopped watching the national news; the enormity of our daily problems leads me to despair as I am unable to solve the world's problems! I'm also done talking about the "mask/no mask" controversy. Just because I am pretty much isolating again and have very little to report when I check in with friends near or far, it doesn't mean I have to fill the void with negativity.

Today, we have a seemingly never-ending pandemic thrown into the mix of everyday life.  There is plenty we can do to bring happiness to each day instead of incessant worry which can lead to frustration and eventually depression. 

Many of us already know the very positive attributes associated with crocheting/needlework of any kind. Today's Covid-19 has given me more time to devote to my love of crocheting. It's akin to meditation that lightens the mood and brings relaxation. It's my hope that your choice of needlework, or some other enjoyable activity, has brought you peace of mind. Developing the ability to see differences of thought as learning experiences rather than conflict experiences, will lead you to peace.

What do you think? Am I naive to think crochet can lead to world peace? 
The following are snippets of articles I have saved over the years which I hope will shine a light on ideas for you and lead you to new ways of connecting happiness to peace in the world. 

As a former Peach Corps Volunteer, I have often thought about the importance of understanding other cultures and other points of view as a pathway to maintaining or restoring peace. Having lived in a third world country was eye-opening and informed my thinking in ever-lasting ways. I can swat burdens off my shoulders; and remind myself that "when the propane tank goes empty during a barbeque with a group of friends, it is just a first-world problem! Life will, indeed, go on!

Maybe it is time for us to not only see the suffering of others around the world, but to feel and understand it. Experts in the Brotman article tell us how to stay strong and how they are dong it. 

Making Peace with Yourself  by Barbara Brotman; Chicago Tribune, April 9, 2003

Dr. Nada Stotland, professor psychiatry at Rush Medical College: "It's important to go on living. It's important to remember that it's ok to have fun. It doesn't do our troops or the people of Iraq (Afghanistan?) any good for us to be miserable. I think we are only getting a taste of what millions of people in history, and now, go through every day. It is not good to live your life in a bubble. If we're scared, what does it feel like to be a mother in Kosovo right now? That adds to our humanity." 
Linda Fagan, receptionist, South Side Chicago: "I just try to stay with my daily routine; and I sit down with my kids. I lost my brother in Vietnam War. You think you are beyond it but it comes back. I crochet-definitely a lot of crocheting. It's a shame we cannot live in harmony. I wish to God we could."
Krystal Kolojay, attorney, North Side Chicago: "I go to the dog beach and watch dogs play and sniff butts. They're so carefree. It just takes your mind off the bad things."

An Installation for My Mother by Akiko Kotani, Fiberarts magazine, November/December 2004

Kotani's first installation was in Pittsburgh in 2003, resulting from her mother's practice of "stitching doilies to soothe her nerves; and how they helped her make sense of a sometimes complicated life. To honor her mother by means of an artwork that celebrated her life, she created a work that honored the lives of all women who have sought solace in the work of their hands. Doilies solicited by Akiko came from all over the world along with the stories behind them sharing the belief that creating them had provided a healing experience for their makers.

For the exhibition, the many stories were compiled in a prominently displayed and illustrated booklet. The doilies told stories of the joys and travails of previous generations. Many others  were painful to read and only heightened the sense of fragility belonging both to the beauty of the doilies and to human life. Still others told of happy memories of the skills being passed from one relative to another; and in the enduring memory of her mother, told how doily making relieved the pressures of everyday life.
Stitches That Heal

Helping Out: A Generous Spirit by John H. Sklare; Lifescript.com; June 30, 2006

Helper's High is a term coined by Arizona State University psychologist Robers Cialdini to describe the euphoria reported by frequent givers in his research. "These good feelings can lower the output of stress hormones. I encourage you to take heed of this new research and find a way to work a moderate dose of helping out into your daily life. As it turns out, helping out is truly health food for the soul."

The Only Thing You Need to Know to Achieve Inner Peace in 2021 by Isuru Padmuditha: Medium.com; January 1, 2021

"Choose good people, choose the right actions because people who would do the same and people that will truly understand you, support you and help you make the world a better place are quite rare."

It has been said that "history repeats itself." From history we learn that difficult times have a way of challenging or harming us on a repetitive cycle. Nothing has been more evident during the Covid-19 pandemic than the fact that a few of us, and certainly many of our forebears, have lived through three other pandemics in the Twentieth century: 1918, 1957, and 1968. When we learn to take care of ourselves and to sacrifice a little for the greater good, I hope we will accept our differences while at the same time not letting them lead to conflict.

Each day I wake up and decide how I want my day to go (hopefully, well with happiness). At night I do a "spot check" to think how/if I reached my goal. There is no guilt or punishment if I missed the mark. Tomorrow is a new day.

By achieving a good relationship with ourselves, our happiness will spread to others, as we are more able to reach out and be kind. Acceptance, acceptance, acceptance: we all are just humans! 

All You Can Control in 2021 Is Yourself: Six Simple Ways to Master Inner Peace in the Upcoming Year by Edward Hess. GoodMenProject.com; January, 2021

"You have choices every day as to how you behave. You have a choice as to how you manage your mind, how you manage your ego, how you manage your emotions, and how you manage your behaviors. These six practices will help you be a better and more effective person if you have the self-discipline and honesty to take ownership of YOU!"

For more helpful coping strategies, read Finding Peace Part II


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc