Skip to main content

Top10 Ideas for Self-Care During Covid-19 Quarantine

I've been relatively content since my self-imposed isolation started on March 11, 2020. That's not to say that I haven't had some moments of anxiety, worry, frustration, or fear of boredom (but only
fear.)  I am trying my best to stay well-informed by listening to only reputable sources: my Indiana State Department of Health and the CDC. I highly respect Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx; and usually watch the re-caps of their reports rather than the whole Daily Virus Briefing.

However, I have heard some stories of others having struggles with this catastrophic event in our lives which is highly unusual and highly incomprehensible! If you are the parent in a household, the caretaker for a family member, or a single person living alone, it is essential that you take some time to care for yourself to restore your strength and energy!  I want to share some ideas for Self-Care that I have used, as well as others I have heard are helpful.

TOP TEN SUGGESTIONS FOR SELF-CARE:

1- Exercise daily-A vigorous walk for thirty minutes in sunshine or the cold will do it. Remember: "There is no bad weather only bad clothing!  Attrib: Rita Nathanson

2-Cook a recipe each week that you have been meaning to try.

Vegetable Hash with Eggs

3-Plan ahead when ordering groceries on line for pick-up and delivery. Even though it is in your cart, it may not be available the the same day or available at all. Expectations breed resentment! Go with the flow and please don't hoard ~ we are all in this together!

4-Creativity lifts the spirits. Adult coloring books and jigsaw puzzles take some concentration and can take your mind off of the virus. Do them with your kids. Don't forget that crochet or knit project that has been stuffed in the back of the closet for years! It's time to revitalize an old skill. They are called WIPs (Works in Progress)!

Layered Waves
I started this afghan fromm Art Crochet Blankets by Rachele Carmona in January and finished it in April 2020.

5. There are many patterns on line for quarantine masks; some don't require a sewing machine. if there is a need in your community, volunteer to make some masks for those who are working to keep us healthy.

Made for Downtown Doggie Daycare


Video instructions for no-sew  mask on YouTube.

6-Google some Moms' Blogs or podcasts to get unique ideas for your kids when they have completed their online studies.

7-Add the free "WhatsApp" to your phone and invite friends who are near or far to do so also. It is an easy way to connect and share visually. Call a friend who you haven't talked to in months; you'll be happy you did.

8- Missing your younger grandchildren terribly? Tell them about "Messenger Kids. It is a version of the Facebook Messenger app specifically crafted to give kiddos under the age of 13 a secure, parent-controlled space in which to communicate with their family members and friends It's fun to hear from them and a good way for them to practice spelling and writing. Be aware, you may just get emojis from them! LOL!

9- Clean a closet or kitchen drawer. Goodwill and other re-sale charities are still asking for donations and you can drive-by to drop it off. Just practice physical distancing ALWAYS! I've decided I am allergic to wool so I have separated most of it from my stash and will donate to Re-Craft Indianapolis.

10-Have you procrastinated on a task for years? Now is the time ~ all we have is time! Pull it out and get busy!

Faux wood decor I found in a resale shop

Wire crochet I am fitting into the "well."

28 gauge wire; size 2 crochet hook
I often procrastinate once I have an idea for an artsy crochet project. I'm crocheting with wire that will climb up this "faux wood thing" I found it in a craft resale shop when in Portland Oregon for the CGOA crochet conference in 2018. We'll all have to wait to see how it turns out!

I hope you will try some of my ideas for maintaining sanity during this trying time! Even better, I'll look forward to hearing about things you have tried! STAY SAFE!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc