Skip to main content

My Summer Travels Part II

My trip continued to Portland, OR where the 24th Annual Chain Link Crochet conference would begin on July 26. I arrived early on Tuesday evening to take care of some committee matters and my dear friend Bonnie Meltzer picked me up at the airport and shuttled me to here home in Portland where I was the guest of her and husband, Richard.




It's my second time to visit this couple and I vividly recall my first visit and how I was in awe of the beautiful gardens that are the focal point of the sustainable lifestyle they live

The house is painted purple, Bonnie's signature color, and an artistic sculpture in its self! I've lived in a lot of places, some not so conventional; but I never thought to paint my house purple!


Bonnie and I were in and out of the conference hotel and in-between, she showed me the sights of Portland. Meals at her house were simple, fresh and abundant with produce from the garden. I even used some Citronella leaves to rub on my skin as a mosquito preventive. That was a first for this city-girl!

Bonnie posing with her interpretation of Beautiful Lives Lost at the Portland Art Instittute

Next stop: Scrap,a craft re-sale shop originally started for teachers. 
 There are some great finds at Scrap. I bought a cute and different crochet hook for $1.00!

I  love the little ball on the end; I think it is made of bone




The Chinese Museum was having a Members' Night and we enjoyed the beauty of the weather and gorgeous ambience!

Ceramic Seed Pods


Bonnie overlooking the pond

Largest collection of Lotus plants in the U.S.
At the official opening of  #chainlink2018 , it was so much fun reuniting with old friends to take selfies!

Lisa Schicker & Phyllis Schicker from Annie's Crochet Tour to Italy October 2017

Margaret Hubert, Sharon Blosch, et al

Katherine White in her lovely beaded Necklace

The always-fashionable Yvette Jiggetts Malloy


Add caption

KristinLynn & Rockfield from my Ravelry Fan Group: Cro-Kween Designs

It is always amazing to meet cyber-friends face to face at #chainlink2018; and this is the 3rd time I've met up with the fabulous Courtesans! 

The Annual #cgoa2018 Member Meeting kicked off our evening, followed by a Market Preview for registered participants.The market met my expectations and I was even surpised to win two great prizes. Thank you DFW Fiber Fest and Margaret Hubert for you gifts!


Pauline Turner





Our weekend of crochet magic comes to an exciting end with the Induction of the #2018Jean Leinhauser/CGOAHallofFame recipient. This year the Committee was honored to name Pauline Turner from Morecambe England. Her picture is above at the podium. Pauline, a friend of CGOA since 1994, is installed into the Hall of Fame archives and receives an Honorable Lifetime Membership in CGOA. Congratulations, Pauline!

This video pretty much says it all about the fun we have at the Banquet Fashion Show


At the Evening of Excellence  we were introduced to the latest crocheters to achieve the Masters of Crochet Awards. Congratulations to all on their achievement! I introduced our speaker on behalf of the Hall of Fame Committee, Suzann Thompson. She amazed us with her presentation about her traveling exhibit, Celebrate Doilies.





After participants  had a chance to chat with Suzann, The Hall of Fame Committee treated her to dinner in the hotel. It is always stimulating to get a dedicated group of crocheters together. Good ideas were buzzing about! Thank you so much to the wonderful people on my committee: Delma Myer, Margaret Hubert, Janet Bates, and Dimitra Bogri.

I took one class this year, Lessons from Pastry: 3-D Forms From Flat Crochet Shapes with Bonnie Meltzer. Obviously, many who were in the class appreciate crochet art and who better to learn from than Bonnie!












I'm having issues with captions, so I will describe the last 3 photos:
-Diane Moyer & Karen Ballard
-Genevieve Mizzel Clark (formerly Miles). Genevieve juried into the art exhibit at the very first Chain Link art exhibit in 1994 with her unique hats. It was so good to meet her.
-Mirto from the Ravelry group I belong to: International Free Form Forum

Before leaving for home, Bonnie and Richard graciously showed me some highlights surrounding Portland.


Astoria. where the river and ocean meet




Astoria Column





#chainlink2019 will be held in one of our favorite cities, Manchester, New Hampshire. If you have never attended a conference, I highly recommend it. Come to meet new friends, new crochet techniques and to see new cities. We'll be celebrating the 25th Anniversary of CGOA, a great achievement, indeed; and I will see you there!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc