Skip to main content

Is Solitude Serenity? Is Alone Lonely?

On a couple of ocassions lately, I have mentioned to a good friend that I am traveling to some places near and some far to seek solitude. My next adventure will be spending a month in a Florida Airbandb this winter by myself. Apparently, this struck my friend as odd; she felt compelled to ask me why I would want to go for that long and be alone.

A little shocked that she was questioning my sanity, I am not sure that I gave her a good answer. First of all, I don't envision being entirely alone there. I have crochet friends in Florida who I am sure I will catch up with. I also have a cousin there and another dear firend who I am sure will at least spend a weekend with me.

I've already thought about pacing these visitors with some time in-between because I do think I might get a little lonely, but the opportunity to explore, crochet, read and do what I want when I want is very appealing to me! I am never at a loss for things to do and often feel like I am running on a treadmill to keep up. My crochet is my tranquility. It always relaxes me and has gotten me through some hard times!

My carry-on baggage for the trip will be chocked full of the projects that I want to work on while in Florida and all the supplies I need to happily crochet every day! That's not to say that I won't check out some local yarn shops as well!

As you probably already know if you've been following my here on the blog, I am a strong believer in the healthful qualities of crochet an have written about it often. I recently started a new chapter in the "rest of my life" when my husband died on July 1, 2016. I am proud of how I have adjusted and how I have focused on the fond memories and embraced happiness instead of despair.

You'll enjoy this video that clearly shows the power of crochet to bring joyful outcomes to families of hospitalized babies, as well as a calming mental state for the paramedics who crochet hats! My only wish is that the paramedic who speaks would feel pride rather than laughing in a way that converys insignificant value to what she is doing!

So what is :alone" to me? When I crochet alone, I am not lonely because I go to places of tranquility and joy; I find excitement in my creativity and as a project finishes I am content! I crochet with two groups also and enjoy the socializing and sharing. I am serene when I am alone, knowing that I can have a busy life but always return to solitude to recharge the batteries.

Where do you crochet? Does crochet bring you serenity? I'd love to have your comments here.


Comments

Nancy Marino said…
Hi, I'm Nancy and I live on the Space Coast of Florida. I have been crocheting for 50 (where has the time gone?) years. I hope it warms up for you. We are having a cold spell. I love spending time alone- probably too much. I don't deal well with stress, noise, drama. You would think being the oldest of 11 (all half siblings- I only grew up with 7 of them)... that I would be calm cool and collected under any circumstances and for the most part I am, but give me my fur babies, a cup of herbal tea and my yarn and I am a happy lady. It was quite an adjustment marrying after being single for 30 years.... would I do it again??? Enjoy your trip time here it is a beautiful state and so much to do. Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
From Twisted1 on Ravelry: I totally get needing to be alone with one’s own thoughts and do not think it strange at all. It feeds the soul and allows the creative juices to flow freely.

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc