Skip to main content

Comforting Hugs from Baskets

Craft Fair Basket I've had for 30 years and still love it
I have a thing for baskets and quite a collection of them, I must say. They comfort me and when I look at them, I feel joy. I've collected baskets for many years from craft fairs, travels and from other countries I've visited or lived in.




Egg basket:  kitchen decor
Paper basket: kitchen decor

Kitchen shelf: crackers, instant oatmeal, pasta, candy

As I look around the house, I recall when I bought them (some long ago) and where I got them. Some are purely art pieces, but most serve a purpose. I like to put them to use and when I reach inside to use what's there, I feel hugged.
Wrought iron basket for tissue, wastebasket from Mexico

Useful more than collectible
Antique Basket: My oldest one: I've had it for 48 years!!
Bedroom: dirty laundry
Today I share with you my basket collection where it lives. Enjoy like I do and tell me how you feel about baskets. I would love to see photos of some baskets you own.

Then there is my yarn studio where baskets are enhanced by the yarn they envelope and where yarn is enhanced by the basket which wraps it in warmth.

Triple basket from Mexico: yarn storage
In the Cue: To-Do

Basket from Mexico: SW Trading Company Yarn selection
Longaberger Basket: Another for To-Dos
Longaberger with sewing do-dads; quilt-topped thread basket; basket pin cushion

Lovely Ecuadorean basket stores my Manos de Uruguay yarn

Longaberger Basket: Receipts
Longaberger Basket: hold business cards

Cute Little Flat Basket

I crocheted this to hold pens & pencils
Antique Basket
I wound my Magic Ball for 7 years and kept it in this basket. I recently crocheted it down to half its size making a freeform purse. Starting to add back to it again.

Some baskets I've made over the years:

Grapevine Basket pattern published in Crochet magazine, March 2011
Linen Basket: Memories of Miguel

Add caption
Add caption
Coiled Basket holding Do-Dads

Entrelace Crochet Basket for the bathroom

Mayan Horizon Basket: Pattern in my Ravelry Store
I hope you've enjoyed my journey through basketland and I look forward to hearing about your baskets or whatever YOU collect

!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 ~ Irregular Expressions: a Mother/Daughter Team

Incredibly amazed when I discovered Irrregular Expressions and the work of Turkish artist, Sebahat, I wanted to know more. Following is the interview I conducted online with her and her daughter, Aysegul.
Crochetkween: Is Bolu, where you live, near any larger Turkish city that we would recognize?
Aysegul: Bolu is a small city midway between Istanbul and Ankara, we are surrounded with snowy mountains, dense forests and small lakes. 

CGOA Celebrates 20 Years ~ Part 3: Juried Crochet Art Exhibits

Saturday, March 29, 2014



In August 1994, I hosted 90 avid crocheters for a weekend conference at De Paul University in Chicago that included classes taught by Bill Elmore, Joan Davis, Arlene Mintzer and more;  a Keynote Address by Sylvia Landman (Crafting for Dollars); a lecture by Annie Potter; marketplace, meals together, door prizes a plenty. An optional tour of Lake Michigan on the Spirit of Chicago was offered along with an optional post conference workshop with Pauline Turner. The most ambitious of all during the weekend was the Juried Exhibit of Crochet Art.
At the time, I firmly believed that crochet art was an amazing way to educate people about the vast possibilities of crochet. It is amazing to see what can be achieved with just a hook and flexible lines from many, many materials. Today I still hold the same belief: crochet is as varied as the crocheter who does it. Crochet art, however, moves and amazes even the most seasoned professionals when they see how artists apply t…

Book Review: HAPPY-GURUMI by Vanessa Chan

“Cute” is the only word to describe the twenty patterns found within this book by animator, Vanessa Chan. As she points out, “There are endless possibilities to create whatever you want with just a few stitches.” You’ll learn how with these patterns ranging from easy to complex.