Skip to main content

An Interview with Kristin Omdahl

Kristin Omdahl, photo courtesy of Aaron Miller
Crochetqueen: What inspires your designs?
Kristin: Textures in nature is a big inspiration for me: formation of flower petals, textures of leaves, feather and scale patterns on animals, etc. I also love architectural textures: tile work, brickwork, especially mosaic and Moroccan tiles. I like to get inspiration for silhouettes from the runways, but only with cut & sewn garments. I try to avoid seeing what others are doing in the fiber world.

Crochetqueen:  How long have you been designing?
Kristin: I’m self taught at knitting and crochet. I’ve been designing for almost as long as I’ve had yarn in my hands. Designing came quickly and easily to me.

Crochetkween: I am always grateful to hear about the therapeutic benefits of crochet; it seems like that is the case for you. What got you interested in crochet?
Kristin: Pregnant, alone, and living overseas, I was really homesick. Making the decision to teach myself to make baby things was very comforting to me, and I started with a pair of booties.

Crochetkween: What is your educational background?
Kristin: I studied autoCAD and architecture in high school. I was a pre-med organic chemistry major and ended up finishing up my academic scholarship at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan with a business major.

Today, I am the proud owner of a yarn company “Bamboo So Fine by Kristin Omdahl” with two yarn lines: Be So Fine and Be So Sporty, as well as the proud author of 11 books of knitting and crochet design. I Just started books 12 and 13 this week (one knit and one crochet). I just celebrated my 11th anniversary in business last week! So, as you can see, it is a full-time career for me.

Crochetkween: What have you discovered about crochet that is unique to you or your life?
Kristin: I think it is very empowering to me that I can make ANYTHING!

Crochetqueen: Your women’s designs are very fashionable and creative. Do you attend fashion shows? Do you get your inspiration from the runways?
Kristin: I really work hard to avoid watching knitting trends, whether on the runways or in knitting and crochet books & magazines. I prefer to draw my inspiration from the rest of the fashion world.

Crochetqueen: How receptive are women to crocheting your designs, especially exquisite ones? In these days of casual/sloppy dress codes… do women bother?
Kristin: I only design what I would like to wear. I am sensitive about my curves and would never wear anything that didn’t flatter my body. I don’t care for bulky sweaters because I think they pack on the pounds! I think my customers appreciate the time and effort put into making flattering knit and crochet garments that are deceptively simple to create. I like to make the simple techniques look fancy!

Crochetqueen: Do you design knit patterns?
Kristin: Yes, and I love to design for men and have several men’s hat patterns. I have also knit many things (one of a kind, no pattern) for friends. I think I feel inspired to do a full collection sooner than later!

Read my review Kristin’s latest book, Crochet So Lovely. It is available from Interweave/F+W and retails for $24.99. Be sure to watch for what’s next in her exciting design future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc