Skip to main content

An Interview with Kristin Omdahl

Kristin Omdahl, photo courtesy of Aaron Miller
Crochetqueen: What inspires your designs?
Kristin: Textures in nature is a big inspiration for me: formation of flower petals, textures of leaves, feather and scale patterns on animals, etc. I also love architectural textures: tile work, brickwork, especially mosaic and Moroccan tiles. I like to get inspiration for silhouettes from the runways, but only with cut & sewn garments. I try to avoid seeing what others are doing in the fiber world.

Crochetqueen:  How long have you been designing?
Kristin: I’m self taught at knitting and crochet. I’ve been designing for almost as long as I’ve had yarn in my hands. Designing came quickly and easily to me.

Crochetkween: I am always grateful to hear about the therapeutic benefits of crochet; it seems like that is the case for you. What got you interested in crochet?
Kristin: Pregnant, alone, and living overseas, I was really homesick. Making the decision to teach myself to make baby things was very comforting to me, and I started with a pair of booties.

Crochetkween: What is your educational background?
Kristin: I studied autoCAD and architecture in high school. I was a pre-med organic chemistry major and ended up finishing up my academic scholarship at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan with a business major.

Today, I am the proud owner of a yarn company “Bamboo So Fine by Kristin Omdahl” with two yarn lines: Be So Fine and Be So Sporty, as well as the proud author of 11 books of knitting and crochet design. I Just started books 12 and 13 this week (one knit and one crochet). I just celebrated my 11th anniversary in business last week! So, as you can see, it is a full-time career for me.

Crochetkween: What have you discovered about crochet that is unique to you or your life?
Kristin: I think it is very empowering to me that I can make ANYTHING!

Crochetqueen: Your women’s designs are very fashionable and creative. Do you attend fashion shows? Do you get your inspiration from the runways?
Kristin: I really work hard to avoid watching knitting trends, whether on the runways or in knitting and crochet books & magazines. I prefer to draw my inspiration from the rest of the fashion world.

Crochetqueen: How receptive are women to crocheting your designs, especially exquisite ones? In these days of casual/sloppy dress codes… do women bother?
Kristin: I only design what I would like to wear. I am sensitive about my curves and would never wear anything that didn’t flatter my body. I don’t care for bulky sweaters because I think they pack on the pounds! I think my customers appreciate the time and effort put into making flattering knit and crochet garments that are deceptively simple to create. I like to make the simple techniques look fancy!

Crochetqueen: Do you design knit patterns?
Kristin: Yes, and I love to design for men and have several men’s hat patterns. I have also knit many things (one of a kind, no pattern) for friends. I think I feel inspired to do a full collection sooner than later!

Read my review Kristin’s latest book, Crochet So Lovely. It is available from Interweave/F+W and retails for $24.99. Be sure to watch for what’s next in her exciting design future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 ~ Irregular Expressions: a Mother/Daughter Team

Incredibly amazed when I discovered Irrregular Expressions and the work of Turkish artist, Sebahat, I wanted to know more. Following is the interview I conducted online with her and her daughter, Aysegul.
Crochetkween: Is Bolu, where you live, near any larger Turkish city that we would recognize?
Aysegul: Bolu is a small city midway between Istanbul and Ankara, we are surrounded with snowy mountains, dense forests and small lakes. 

Book Review: HAPPY-GURUMI by Vanessa Chan

“Cute” is the only word to describe the twenty patterns found within this book by animator, Vanessa Chan. As she points out, “There are endless possibilities to create whatever you want with just a few stitches.” You’ll learn how with these patterns ranging from easy to complex.

Book Review: Honk! Beep! Vroom! by Cathy Smith

This new book published by Martingale has not only projects for children but also for adults. Crocheters everywhere will enjoy making these interesting vehicles as gifts. Eight projects complete with moving parts are featured including a police car, taxi, ambulance, convertible care, dump truck, VW Beetle, bus, and firetruck.