Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Book Review: Cozy Toes for Baby ~ Sweet Shoes to Crochet and Felt by Chantal Garceau & Mary J. King


Cozy Toes for Baby
I haven’t been aware of a more heartwarming reason to create a book sommme time! “As I pondered a new direction for my life work and a direction for my design talents,” Chantal wrote, “serendipity intervened and led me to the Imani Project  and  I decided to sponsor a Kenyan child orphaned by HIV/AIDS.” This book is dedicated to the Masheleni children and the Imani Project and pictured is Linet who was one of the first children sponsored by Chantal.

With crochet patterns that are as adorable as they are practical, you can provide fashion for wee ones while keeping tiny toes warm. Instructions for making the soles and even re-purposing the materials from leather elbow patches are included along with how-tos on felting for shape and sturdiness. 

"Sparky Dog"
One basic pattern is used for the 7 sets of shoe designs, each in 5 sizes. Incredibly  appealing embellishments and styling sets each design apart from the other. 

"Fresh Watermelon"
Complete instructions and tips help the crocheter achieve results that are professional looking and unique. Personally, I have been felting-challenged for years. However, the sheer cuteness of these shoes makes me want to try again and again so that I can have several pair on hand: a fantastic gift for the next new baby that comes along.

"Silly Monkey"
Chantal and Mary are accomplished professionals who have found a way to turn their love of crafts into a worthwhile social enterprise. I hope you will stitch to support a worthy cause—the authors' proceeds will all be donated to the Imani Project in Kenya.

Cozy Toes is available at Martingale for $16.99 which includes both print and e-books. E-book only costs $11.99. Photography is by Martingale and Brent Kane.

No comments: