Skip to main content

Chain Link/Knit & Crochet Show 2014: Recap

July 24, 2013
As I drove up to the Radisson in Manchester, NH and saw that it had been yarn-bombed ~ outside in the plaza in front plus the dog statues that greet us and the bench right bythe door ~ I said to myself, "Why didn't we think of this before??" Many many thanks to Jennifer Ryan for conceiving the idea and for organizing all the wonderful volunteers who contributed motifs and helped put them ALL OVER. It was sensational!

Tree in Parkway
Dog Statue at Entrance
I bombed the same dog in 2010 with yarn from our goody bag by Lion Brand!
My bombing of the dog back in 2010 was gone by morning. It goes to show that asking permission has some benefits, but does take some of the excitement out of yarn bombing!

Entrance of Hotel

Parkbench at Entrance of Hotel

Reception Desk
Stairs to Parking Garage
Enhancement Around the Plantings of the Breakfast Cafe


Even the Ladies Room was Bombed!
These are my dear friends Sue and Claudette who came from Boston to have lunch with me!
It realy did make me smile to walk through the hotel and see all the crochet making a difference!

The first thing I did after checking in was go to the CGOA Registration to pick up my 20th Anniversary commemorative hook! So beautiful and what a treasure!

20th Anniversary Commemorative Hook
This beautiful wooden hook ade of dye-impregnated wood veneers features the anniversary color, emerald.and was made for us by Sharky's and it also includes a charm and emerald gem.

At the registration desk, I encountered this beauty that carries out the unofficial  theme of the weekend: yarn joy!

CGOA Registration Adorned!
Soon after I arrived, I made my way to the Market Place to judge the winner for my $100.00 Founder's Award. It was a pretty easy choice: "Backyard Visitors." This entry also won first prize in the art category. To me, it conveyed the spirit of CGOA:  friendly crocheters welcoming newbies and sharing all they know. Congratulations, Sachiko Adams! See photos of all the winners posted by Doris Chain, Chair of the Competition, soon.

Backyard Vistors by Shachiko Adams
I spent the rest of the afternoon connecting with old friends and meeting new ones in the Knit & Crochet Serenity Zone. Thank you, Red Heart, for your sponsorship! Since I was there such a short time and not taking classes, I wanted to talk to as many as possible to show my gratitude for their votes on my award and to encourage them to be active members of CGOA. I brought along a bunch of crochet gifts and handed them out along the way!

Kathy, winner of several thread crochet awards, & Betty
HOF-14! 



20th Anniversary Logo Cake!

Well-Wishers: Kate Steinke, CGOA Board member, and Lindsay
Pam, Susan and Me from the NI Chapter
Execs!
HOF-14 Chair, Kimberly McAlindin Presenting My Award
Cake & Champagne Was Served to Everyone
Right after my induction, the Market Preview started and everyone rushed to shop. I spent some time greeting well-wishers in the CGOA booth.

Juanita, a dear Courtesan at Cro-Kween Designs

Pattie from my local chapter
Poster in the CGOA Booth
Thanks to Nicole Wawok for the photo that will go down in history marking my place in the Hall of Fame. It is kind of scary blown up that large!

An exhibit of my books and art was in the CGOA booth
CGOA Member, Carlotta, crocheted this gorgeous 4-tiered anniversary cake!
Pam Oddi (L) and Delma Myers
Pam. Past President of CGOA, and Delma are the only 2 left who have attended every conference for 20 years! Read more about their thoughts on CGOA membership. Thanks for your loyalty to CGOA, Pam & Delma!

Cari Clement (L) and Marty Miller
Cari and Marty are both Past Presidents of CGOA; and Cari is the brains behind the Jean Leinhauser CGOA Hall of Fame. Thank you for you contributions!


I don't always remember new friends names!

Joan Davis
Joan taught at the very first Chain Link Conference in 1994. Lookin' good, Joan!

Jack Blumenthal, CGOA Board Member, from Lion Brand
Irene & Ariel
"When Baby Sleeps, Mommy Plays with Yarn ~ While I Sleep, Mommy Plays with Yarn"

Mary Rhodes, an early CGOA member
Thank you to Kareen Gibson of Offinger Management for all the social media posts that she constantly added to the CGOA Facebook page during the conference to let the world know what a wonderful and unique experience is enjoyed by all who attend the Chain Link Conference/Knit & Crochet Show. I hope you were there; I hope you had fun; and I hope to see you in San Diego, July 22-26, 2015!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc