Skip to main content

The Cycle of Life

Wednesday, May 15, 2013
On April 24, we moved into the next phase life when we received an offer on our house which has been on the market for three years! Even though we willingly made the decision to sell our house back then and are well aware that we need to downsize, it still came as a shock. Signing those papers sent me into a whirling dervish-like scenario which included mixed emotions of both exhilaration and sadness with a dose of panic thrown in!

It has been my dream for years to live in the city of Chicago and enjoy this fabulous city during the lush spring and fall seasons and then to have a winter house in Mexico. We had the winter house in Mexico and enjoyed it for 7 years, but sold it a year ago when we realized that we didn't want to be away from our grandchildren and family for six months during the winter.

We have now leased a condo in the city of Chicago and will try city living for a year.
Maybe I'll get the call to live there out of my system. We don't know what the future holds, but we plan to make the most of this year and consider it an adventure. Thoughts are swirling in my head...How and where will we fit our furniture into the smaller place? How often will I return to the suburbs? I know for sure I'll return for my beloved Northern IL Chapter meetings and for my doctors. Alan's doctor is in the city.  Don't forget the change of address form! Check out the Chicago chapter of CGOA-they meet on Sundays, so I can go to two chapter meetings a month!

Then, I remind myself to slow down and take one step at a time. This week: continue to sort and separate; some things for trash, some things for the garage sale, some things to pack for storage. Next week: organize everything for the sale. After that we can do mindless packing of easy things before the movers arrive. I'll make it fun and treat us with a hot fudge sundae or piece of pie when the stress or boredom begins to set in.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to all my crochet friends showing up for the sale so they can take advantage of the major crochet de-stashing I have done. I have completed two identical bridal garters this week. Bethany's dear friend, Kate, asked me to crochet one for her July wedding and my neighbor girl, Jackie, is getting married in October. So, I decided why not make them both while I can still get to my sewing machine?

I taught Kate to crochet when she was in college and spent many memorable moments watching her and Bethany perform, not only in their college shows, but in their band, Chameleon World. http://morethanaband.com/
I've watched Jackie grow up into a beautiful and out-going young bride. I'm honored to be a part of the new cycle of life both these young ladies are about to enter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc