Skip to main content

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!

I'm going to be a grandmother and I am READY!


I can remember a time when I wasn't ready to be a grandmother, like before she was married. That wouldn't have been cool! AAabout a year ago, I began to atart getting ready. Before that, it just didn't seem like me. Then, little tidbits started coming out in conversation with the new mom, Nicole and hubby, Jeff. Gradually, I started getting used to the idea and getting excited about what all it means. Now, I'm ready in many ways. Eotionally, I am excited about a new little being I can pamper and we were especially THRILLED last Saturday when they told us it is going to be a GIRL!!! I like girls! Schedule wise I am ready. My book is done. Yeah, yesterday, I turned in the final edits to the editor.I've been at it for fifteen months and it is a relief and a pleasure to be done and to go into "waiting mode" for the book, The Fine Art of Crochet, to be released in Spring 2010!

Of course, crochet-wise, I am ready too! In fact, I have been crocheting baby things for years and laying them away for the eventuality that one day I would be a grandmother. I must have made the christening gown ten years ago! So, maybe I have been more ready than I thought. No, I don't think so. I just like to crochet things when I see a pattern that strikes my fancy! I love to crochet! To see the things I have made already, go to my page on Ravelry:
www.Ravelry.com/crochetkween

I can remember a time when I wasn't even ready to be a parent. Alan and I were married for ten years before Nicole came along. No, we didn't have trouble. We knew what we were doing! I worked as a Family Planning Nurse Practitioner and had all the modern conveniences of birth control at hand. I think I wanted to try each and everyone so to be well versed for my patients! Kidding aside, we were just living life, serving in the Peace Corps, serious about our careers and when the time was right, it was perfect right! Nicole was a wonderful additon to our family and we cherish everything about her presence in our life. She and Jeff are taking their pregnancy very seriously, studying, listening and doing everything right for a helathy outcome. We wish them every blessing that we have had as parents!

Four years later, we were ready again and that's when Bethany came along. I couldn't say it during the preganacy, but gee, did I want another girl. Imagine the joy when my dream came true! Just young marrieds of one year, we don't know if there is another grandchild from Bethany and Ryan in our future. That's okay, when they are ready, we will be ready!

Comments

CCK said…
Oh what fun! I won't say I'm envious, but I'm trying to be patient, and yes knitting and squirreling it away, for someday.
What great fun for you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc