Skip to main content

Caught in the Holiday Fray!!!

December 4, 2010
Caught in the Holiday Fray!!!
Where did last Monday go? Can anyone tell me? Not only am I trying to keep up with the ideas for designs that keep popping in my head, but I am also trying to get some handmade gifts done for the holidays. Then there is the matter of preparing for Thanksgiving, but that's not so bad as dear daughter, Nicole is hosting. Throw in a pre-Thanksgiving visit to dear Dad and a surprise birthday party for cousin Alan while we were there. Good news is that we were already there so didn't have to make a special visit for the birthday party.

Throw in another week in MI to babysit sweet baby Chloe while her parents fly off to Miami for a well-deserved get-away to somewhere warm. I am thrilled to have the opportunity and maybe I will get some crocheting done while she naps if I am not too exhausted from chasing a one-year old around the house! Getting a Chloe-fix will be good since we will be away from her for three months this winter while in Mexico.

I was reminded this past weekend that two of my niece's daughters LOVE rocks. I decided I must cover a couple of rocks for them for a present and got started on one today. What fun! I think they will be thrilled and it will be a special rock in each of their collections.

"Never too old to earn a buck," I say, and last week that proved true for me. As with most things in my life, there is a connection to yarn. A while ago one of my crochet students and I had a conversation about speaking Spanish and she works for a lawyer. Her office was in need of an interpreter and I told her I could do it. Miraculously, when the person was served her summons, she began to speak English! Anyway, Rosemary remembered me when another lawyer in her building needed an interpreter last week. This one worked out and I went to Court and interpreted for a divorce case. I'm more experienced in medical interpreting and this was my first time with legal interpreting. I was a bit nervous. It wasn't 100% perfect, but we got through it just fine. Hopefully, this lawyer will call me next time she needs help.

I also went to a craft fair over the weekend with my sister-in-law and same niece and that gave me dozens of more ideas!!! My fingers just can't craft fast enough. Isn't crafting supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing?? I always seems to be behind the eight ball and rushing to get a project done so I can start another and I always have at least four started and laying in wait. I am not complaining, I am having a blast and will enjoy sending off each and every gift.

The festivities start tonight when I join Las Chicas (my Spanish coversation group) for dinner at Tacos Al Norte, a new palce for us. Sadly, Barbarita will be missing as she had to fly out to CO. Her son was hurt in a skiing accident and was to have surgery on his back. Our thoughts will be with her tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc