Skip to main content

International Free Form Crochet Guild

Monday, April 2, 2012 Wow, it's April already and before I get started on free form crochet, I want to share a couple of pictures of my last couple of days celebrating National Crochet Month in March. My friend, Rita,
and I got together to do sparkly things (as she says). She wanted some help with making earrings.Rita is an art therapist and is very creative. She inspired me and best of all, she gave me a sampling of some really iteresting beads she inherited. Yeah! More earrings coming soon! Here's a pair I created that day; they had been in the cue for a while.
Earrings I made from Rita's beads



I've been a fan of free form crochet for quite some time. My crochet "roots" date back to the 70s when I first learned to crochet. So, I lean toward an admiration of the style was prevalent in those days: colorful, creative and mixed media with no material left untried. "If it bends, it can be crocheted" is my mantra!

As a benefit of my membership in CGOA, I was privileged to meet the Gurus of free form crochet and originators of the moniker "scrumble," James Walters and Sylvia Cosh, in 1995 when they taught at our conference that was held in New Jersey. In 1997, when the conference was held in Chicago, James and Sylvia again taught.

After the conference was over, they stayed with me a couple of days and I remember feeling that it was a complete and hard to imagine honor to have them crocheting in the afternoon sunshine in my living room while I cooked dinner for them. This is the gift that Sylvia was crocheting, not realizing that it was for me! It was a treasure then and has so much more meaning now that she is gone.



Sylvia died of ovarian cancer in 2000. I have been a member of the International Freeform Crochet Guild (INTFFCG) for some time. It is a Yahoo group where we share our love of freeform crochet, and we have an annual challenge in which anyone who is a member can participate. I have submitted my freeform creations the last three years and each year a photo book of the challenge entries is created and sold and the profits go to charity. (in about 2012, the name was changed to International Freeform Fiberarts Guild)

 In 2010 our theme was "Somewhere in My World"


This was my submission and it depicts the juxtaposition of my desire to live in two worlds: Chicago, USA and Mexico. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I combine the freeform CAL at NatCroMo with the Challenge theme. In 2011 our theme was "Mythologies: Stories and Fairy Tales" and this was my entry:

Freeform Fairy: Finesse Me
The 2012 INTFFCG Challenge:  "Reinterpret a Work of Art or Piece of Music"  I must say that I probably enjoyed this challenge the most so far.

Inspired by Van Gogh's Vase with Red Poppies

Back of Necklace
Here some examples of other free form crochet I have done over the years:
Scrumbled Yoke Sweater, 2001

Freeform Vest, front, 2006

Back

NatCroMo on Ravelry, 2008

NatCroMo on Ravelry, 2009

Hummingbird Brooch

Bead Crochet Scrumbles

Freeform Brooch sent to Oprah Winfrey

Cloissonne-Inspired Brooch

Freeform scarf inspired by Prudence Maptone Class: Chain Link 2011, Greenville, SC
Freeform Fun & Frivolity CAL on Cro-Kween Designs, Ravelry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc