Skip to main content

Art is a Happy High

I've been thinking a lot lately about how keeping busy, exploring new avenues and attending art exhibits brings me to my happy place. This past week in particular had lots to offer. It seemed like many a venue had openings of exhibits that I was interested in.

I've mentioned the Stutz Business & Art Center before <Link> and they had an exibit called "Red." Everything in the multi-media show featured red primarily. It was veried and interesting.
The locale is a huge warehouse which was originallt the Stutz Bearcat showrooms. Many artist studios are also there. I look forward to the Open House they will hold in March which will be much bigger and feature working artists in their studios, food and music.

Located within a straight shot of each other, I was able to take in two exhibits on Saturday.
The Indiana State Museum held its Annual Indiana Artists Craft fair and I was delighted to find a wonderful hostess gift for my cousin who I will be visiting in Phoenix....TOMORROW!
I just couldn't resist the tiny heart with ginko leaf for me!  It was just fun to visit over 60 vendors with lots of talent from all parts of Indiana. I also found a cute ornament which I will tuck away for next holiday season.

Dirty Hands Pottery
Indiana Ornament-Blue Moon Pottery

It is always a bonus when I find crochet on display! In these cases, crochet is used as a jumping off point for other media: sewing and ceramics.

Crochet Collage Dress

Crochet Lace-edged Purse

Crochet Collage Scrapbook

Ceramic Dish with Embedded-Doily Pattern





 This artist is a retired school principal and he knew how to engage children!



Later that day, I swung by the Indianapolis Art Center where they had opened an exhibit entitled "Portraits" the night before. I failed to take any photos here but nevertheless, enjoyed myself.

What inspires and takes you to your happy place? I'd love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc