Skip to main content

#KCBWDAY7 ~ My Time, My Place



#KCBWDAY7 ~ Our Day 7 Challenge: 
Where and how do you take time out to knit and/or crochet? Maybe you don’t take time out at all and instead have your needles twirling as you try to juggle a multitude of other tasks with no ‘spare’ time to think of. Maybe you enjoy nothing more than to crochet whilst winding down from a yoga session, chatting with some friends in a nearby cafe.

Whether social or solitary, tell readers about your crafting time and space, and where you either most enjoy (or can simply find a few snatched moments) to turn yarn into something even more beautiful.

Since crochet is inextricably "linked" to my life, there are MANY places and times where I crochet! I'm retired, so my days are flexible but busy. I am an active blogger and scouring the Internet can tend to get me distracted from the actual making, if I let it. I DON'T LET IT!

No day is complete for me without crochet! It's my therapy, my love, my passion and I need to do it to stay grounded. I crochet each evening from approximately 7-10 PM while sitting in my recliner and watching television. This is my main location; and often the crochet takes over my mind rather than the tv leading me away from it.


I have a studio in our condo. It is my room dedicated to crochet. The closet is stuffed full of yarn and organized by color and type. There are various other containers in the room, baskets and baskets, that handle the excess. I don't often sit in the studio to crochet, but I do spend time in there thinking about the next project and in selecting yarn to use.




I also do a lot of bead-crochet.

Antique Spool Drawer

A few of my beads!
I design and have a Ravelry shop. I also really enjoy following other designers' patterns. Even though I've been crocheting for forty years, there is always something new to learn and I learn from other designers ideas presented in pattern-form. I have a basket with projects in the cue to be started, and I usually have 3-4 projects started at any given time.



I always have what I call a traveling project that I keep in my car.  No matter where I go or what I am up to, there is always the chance that I will be able to crochet for a spell, so I am prepared. How could I almost forget? Crafting in public is so important and my CGOA chapter, the Northern IL Chapter of CGOA means the world to me. We meet once a month and of course crocheting is the order of the day!

Northern IL Chapter with guest teacher, Lily Chin!
How many can say that their hobby has kept them inspired for forty years and that it turned into a career?



Comments

Breathing Life said…
Love the antique spool drawer and I am drooling over your craft room. Yowza!
Barbara Worn said…
Thanks for sharing this Gwen-I love it especially because I see so many things you do that are very similar to the way I do things.
I'm living in a rather isolated area so I don't have a support group. Reading your description of the way you work crochet into your life (or maybe it's more like the way you work your life into your crochet, haha!) makes me feel so connected to you and the crochet community.
I can't go a day without crocheting either and I've been crocheting for about 40 years just like you.
Stitch On Brave Queen, Stitch On!

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc