Skip to main content

For the Love of Libraries

Monday, October 22, 2012 Maybe it is because I live in a suburb of the huge metropolis of Chicago or maybe it is because I have more time to notice these days, but I am finding many exciting, educational and fun activities through our library system. Not only can I take advantage of my own library offerings, but I can also attend a program in any other village/city for little or no cost. Recently, we have attended several offerings that I want to share here. It is the 100th Anniversary of the Girl Scouts this year and I have signed on to their alumni site, but had not yet gotten too involved. Last week I attended a program presented by Juliette Low, the founder of Girl Scouts, portrayed by an excellent historic reenactor. She stood in front of a lovely, artistic panel which brought us to the woods with her little tri-pod campfire on the floor. "Juliette" talked to us like she was there on a camp-out with her "girls" as she called them. She was dressed in a GS uniform of the time, 1912, and it resembled an army uniform. There were people of all ages and genders in attendance, among them many girls from a local trip. It was quite an enjoyable and easy way to be reminded of this historic woman and her many contributions. Of course, I came right home to research for a "crochet" badge. I found the Senior Textile Artist badge
and also found that today there is a way for girls to create their own badge for topic in which they have a particular interest. It's called "Make Your Own." Hmmm, girls really need a crochet badge, but someone else will have to take on that cause! Back in 2003-04 to celebrate the Tenth Anniversary of the Crochet Guild (CGOA), we developed a patch
in collaboration with DRG, a huge publisher of crochet magazines and books. (Now Annies). We invited young people to attend free learn-to-crochet sessions at our annual conference which was held in Chicago. My mother was my scout leader when I was in elementary school and I still have such fond memories of all those activities and outings we enjoyed. I was a girl scout through my freshman year in high school. Scouting was so unpopular at that age, that I had to join a "Mariner" troop in land-locked Ft. Wayne, IN! I have volunteered to be a Daisy Leader and also a girl scout leader (in Mexico) for my daughters. I have attended the World Center, "our cabana" in Cuernavaca, Mexico (one of four worldwide). Scouting means a lot to me, even at my age! Maybe it shaped who I am. Today, the scouts are entirely different, but I like how they have kept up with the times and promote self-esteem to girls in this difficult and bully-prevalent ambience. I still have my sash
It's a treasure that means a lot to me. It looks like I was interested in the arts back then: painting, basketry,sewing, ceramics, etc are the badges I see. Today, there is a broader range of experience for the "new girl scout." Today they have a "jeweler" badge under the category of "craft." and a "drawing" badge under the category of "artist." After spending last weekend with Chloe, our three-year-old granddaughter, looking for pumpkins and ghosts, I guess we were in macabe mode! Yesterday, we enjoyed the "boo-tiful" music of the Dead Composers Society Orchestra at the library. Their program consisted of classical favorites that bring to life the "spirits" of the season. This trio of women is extremely talented and they know how to entertain. On a roll, we went on a "Ghost Walk" in the evening where we learned all about the ghosts that return to Palatine as either earthbound or spirits. The leader of the tour was very knowlegable and also happened to be an English teacher we had known at the high school attended by our girls.
CUVivQBdY4U/UIcS37IMt9I/AAAAAAAACxg/WhRwYPcfnn0/s1600/2012-10-21%2B08.03.55.jpg" imageanchor="1" style="clear:right; float:right; margin-left:1em; margin-bottom:1em">

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc