Skip to main content

I've Got the Winter Oranges & Reds

Monday, February 20, 2012 So many of you are suffering through cold weather, no mail and closed banks today for President's Day and I am basking in the flower and sun-filled patio
of the B&B we are staying at this week in Ajijic, Jalisco Mexico. From here we could here a parade pass by; a preamble to Mardi Gras, I suppose. It was a little strange to hear a celebratory parade at noon on a Monday work day, but stranger things have happened here in Mexico! We arrived last Thursday and so far it has been a nice relaxing pace. Our B&B is filled with 9 other very nice couples many from various parts of Canada, so the conversation at breakfast is always lively. Yesterday the main plaza in our little town was also very lively with Mardi Gras doings. We went to a parade
where among other things, people dress in devilish masks and through white flour on the heads of unwitting observers.
Others who follow along later also throw confetti.
What is the significance, you ask? The "bad devils" are throwing flour and then the "good devils" counteract it with confetti! As the only foreigners in the group where we stood, I wondered if we would fall victim to being covered in flour. We were spared, but a young man who was standing right next to us got a good dose and it wasn't just a sprinkle but the devil mashed it right into his hair! Our days waffle between taking walks to see the sights
, walking to find a meal and crochet and books to read. The sun is very intense here at 5,000 feet altitude, so we have to take care to cover in sun tan lotion and pace ourselves!Deciding what to bring along, crochet-wise, is always a challenge.This year I brought along quite a few bead-crochet projects. The beads travel compactly and it is one of my favorite types of crochet. I also brought along a WIP (work in progress)which has been hibernating since I started it here last year! It is a heart pillow top with very poorly written instructions. It just wasn't looking right and got thrown into the frustration pile. Determined to finish it in a, perhaps, more relaxed and non-pressure atmosphere, I am proud to say that it is finished! I will have to "finish-finish" it when I return home as far as making the fabric pillow goes, but that is a piece of cake! The crochet is done and this is what it looks like:
Another strange project i brought along is a booklet of Barbie Doll clothes. "Strange" I say because I never allowed my daughters to have Barbie dolls when they were growing up. I fell into that category of feminists who just didn't see the need for flaunting the female figure at that young age. However, I picked up this booklet at my CGOA chapter pattern exchange and now appreciate the projects as a pattern reading challenge. I have started with the "party dress" which has an abundance of ruffles and is quite interesting in its construction. It's turning out to be just a "3-night project" and next on this list will be the wedding dress which is quite elaborate. If someday my granddaughter decides she wants to play with Barbies, I will be prepared with a couple of interesting outfits! My International Free Form Crochet Guild (IFFCG) Challenge project for 2012 is due March, so I brought that in progress to hopefully get finished too. It will be somewhat of an International project his year sinceI will have to buy fabric here in order to finish it. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc