Skip to main content

I've Been to Hell and Back!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 As they say, computers are like husbands: you can't live with them but you sure can't live without them! Since my email was hacked on Jan. 6, I have had a non-stop challenge to get back to working order. I've had so many calls to ATT and Yahoo, that I now recognized the customer service agents' voices! I have learned to work the system and request to be connected to "Tier 2" support because I know I will need it! I still have one minor issue to resolve, but basically, I am back in working order. I pride myself as someone who is pretty computer savvy and if not, willing to learn. For my age, I think I have come quite a long way. That is probably the one benefit of this whole fiasco: I have learned a lot! During the many occasions while I was kept waiting for an ATT agent to answer my call, I was not grinding my teeth or biting my nails. Crochet is my sanity, but by now you know that! Yes, of course, I was crocheting while waiting in line for an agent! Not only have I been to "hell" and back this month, but to Florida and back with my darling girls and Prince Jack as well. Sweet Nicole arranged for my dear friend, Cindy to travel across the state from Plantation to surprise me. What a bonus it was on top of a wonderful get away!
This month has been very busy on the teaching front for me. Last Sat. I started a 3-part series at a bead store. We started with crochet for beaders
Beginning Crochet Coin Purse and it still amazes me as to how little crocheters who say they know how to crochet know!! Two-hours of awkward struggling and as the shop owner said, we had a remedial corner for slow learners. I think the light bulb went on toward the end of the session and they promised to practice! I really look forward to part 2 when I will teach them bead crochet. I am so enamored with beads, I want everyone to love it. This week I embarked on a two-part class for kids
The book I co-authored: Kids Can Do It Crocheting It was at a private school and during this week which they call J-Term, the kids have an opportunity to experience things that they might otherwise not get to experience. I was told that crochet was very well received and that the allotted spaces filled up quickly. The teacher was amazed at how they took practice to heart after the first lesson. On day 2 they returned with greatly improved skills and even began to add their own creative touches to what I was teaching them. Their age, 7th graders, had a lot to do with this. Their motor skills are sufficiently developed that they caught on well. The culture of the school had a big influence too. It is a very nurturing environment and I am sure their confidence comes from being led by supportive encouragement. The room mom bought my book to donate to the school library. Eighteen new crocheters were born into the world this week (17 girls and one lone, brave boy). I am happily confident that I will be invited back for the next J-Term. Here's what I got done while hanging on the phone with ATT, so it's not all bad!:

Comments

AudreyO said…
I loved reading your post. I am left handed. I learned to crochet from someone right handed. She was amazing. We did two things...one she sat opposite me and I mirrored her but then she also said "let me learn left handed and help you" and off we went.

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc