Skip to main content

Keeping Fit with Crochet

Monday, June 6, 2011
Friends, Rita and Debbie, get together with me every once in a while for breakfast and catch-up. They are both uber-athletic and I was honored that they invited me to join them for a bike ride in Busse Woods before our meet-up last week at Wildberry Pancakes!






It was a picture-perfect day, cool and sunny, and we biked 9.8 miles. That's a lot for me, but I did it! It felt great!



Rita is an art therapist and she donates her time and skills to offering art experiences for children. Our conversations led her to invite me to teach crochet to her children this summer.

Feeling a little guilty, I also went off on an adventure to Forest Park to "take advantage" of the going-out-of-business sale at Chicks with Stix yarn store. None of my crochet pals were available so I had to go it alone. Everything was 35% off, but the sale had been going on a while, so there really wasn't much left. I felt like I lucked out because I got enough yarn for a sweater I want to make from the Rowan book. I may have to do some creative juggling of colors, but I think it will look great. I also bought a book for my crochet library and then promptly had a slight panic that I already had a the book. (I have been known to duplicate books) When you have over 300 in your crochet library, it is sometimes hard to remember if I've just seen a book, dreamed of having it or actually have it in my library! Yay, all was well when I got home and the new book was a welcome addition to the collection!

We took off on Friday for our last trip to visit daughter, Nicole, in MI. They are moving to Indianapolis at the end of the month! Her friend Sarah had a lovely "Sprinkle" for Nicole (that's a "shower" for second time moms!


It was real nice and also bittersweet to see her friends and neighbors for the last time. It is so reminiscent of my life as I was also seven months pregnant with Nicole when we moved from Ohio to Iowa!

We're very excited, though, on the other hand about them living in IN. It will be closer to my 91 year-old dad and more convenient for us to get to.

Running off now to do a photo shoot in the late afternoon sun with younger d, Bethany. Indie patterns coming soon....just need the photos and she's my go-to model!

Comments

ReviewGal said…
What a great looking biker - you did it. Plus, we were able to get your bike onto your bike rack - that was an accomplishment! Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc