Skip to main content

I LOVE COLOR!!!!!

Monday, March 14, 2011 I've known for a long time that I just can get enough of color. I also know that I have a very hard time paring down or limiting colors. especially when it comes to crocheting a project or starting from scratch to design one!

For 46 weeks now, I have been participating in a freeform crochet Crochet-Along: Freeform Fun & Fivolity. It is a special project on my designer Fan Page at Ravelry.
You can see photos of all of our creations here:www.ravelry.com/groups/cro-kween designs
I chose to do each of the weekly instructions in some shade of red. It is a study in red and dedicated to my mother and her favorite color.

A year sounded like a long time for this project, but now it is hard to believe that it will be over in just 5 more weeks. We have a group of about 54 enthusiastic free-formers and very creative crocheters. It is amazing to see what they come up with each week with their own interpretations of the instructions. Most instructions have been provided by the fantastic twisted1 and lupa (Ravelry names) and now and then they enlist the help of Designers for a Day (DFAD). They deserve a break now and then, and fresh energy comes through from the designers who don't have to come up with clever instructions that often.

We have an on-going chat thread also and track our progress with photos and conversation, supporting each other and sharing knowlege. We have all commented that we have learned so much from the wonderful crochet techniques provided each week.

Here is what I did this week from colorfool's (how appropriate!) instructions:

This is my progress so far on the entire piece.


As far as color goes, I am over-stimulated here in Mexico. It is a colorful place. The Mexicans use color in the most fascinating and unexpected ways, and each day is a new color adventure for me as I walk around the village. Then there are my fingernails which ended up a neon-orange after my manicure today! Here are some photos whose color palates excited me...and these are just from today!
Mother Nature's Confetti: The Jacaranda blossoms don't last too long, but when they fall they hold their color.
The growth of my bougainvilla has been phenomenal. I am so pleased!

Two-tone House

The Vista Looking onto our Neighborhood

What More Can I Say After This One? It's a Wrap!

Comments

Ashley said…
Those pictures are beautiful! I also love colors :) Especially bright ones!

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc