Skip to main content

My Crochet Home

Monday, October 11, 2010
So much is going on in my "Fiber Community" that I decided to add on here. Tonight I will begin the 2nd session of tunisian crochet: Tutti Frutti Tunisian Baby cap. The numbers have leveled off; I only have two students. But that's okay; they are enthusiatic and have waited for this class to be offered on Monday.

I have also started a Tunisian Crochet-Along with Doris Chan's design: Tokyo Vest. Students can pay-as-you-go and we're meeting the first Sat. of Oct,Nov. and Dec. for them to check in with me and work out the kinks when they get stumped on the pattern.

Monday, September 20, 2010
I was not the first to discover Fuzzy Wuzzy Yarn Store in Arlington Heights, IL, but as soon as I heard about it in January, I got over there and introduced myself to Chris, the owner. I made it very clear to her from the beginning that I am a passionate crocheter and I would be interested in teaching crochet in her shop.

Obviously, by the name of her store, I could tell that she is running a crochet-friendly place! From the begnning, Chris was open to most anything I wanted to teach. Since someone was already teaching beginners and since I have pretty much taught my share of beginners, I offered an intermediate class which was a colorful sampler pillow done in Cascade 220 wonderful wool. I had just one student but that was okay because she was a wonderful student and great person. Pam, it turns out, started he charity Halos of Hope, www.halosofhope.org which provides chemo caps for cancer victims. Long story short, I made some connections for her and she now is featured in a book piublished by DRG with Chemocap patterns in it (Chemo Caps & Wraps) A percentage of the profits goes to Halos of Hope! Just last week, Pam launched the book at Fuzzy Wuzzy and signed the books. It was a fun evening and great turn out from the crocheters.

I taught a successful bead-crochet class at Fuzzy Wuzzy and have repeated it and will be teaching it again this week! I love bead-crochet and I love seeing the students' faces light up when they get it and really take off and make lots of bracelets!










At the beginning of August I offered to run Crochet Connection every Tuesdy morning. The idea is to get crocheters into the store to crochet, chat and connect! Hopefully, with a little crochet talk, exposure to great yarn and patterns and some limited help from me, they will get enthused to take crochet classes Little by little we will build up the interest in crochet classes, hopefully, to both crocheters AND knitters! I have a "faithful three" attending each week and a few othrs whodrop in now and then. It is fun; I get some crocheting done and learn a few things myself!

Last week I taught the second of two sessions on Tunisian Crochet. The project was Tutti Frutti Tunisian Baby Cap and the design was used with permission from Angela Melara. Years ago, I took her class and learned the technique at the Chain Link Crochet Conference. More recently, I made the cap for granddaughter, Baby Chloe, and it does make an excellent baby gift. This turned out to be a very successful class wih eight, yes eight, students! Chris has been very happy about this and it is always a quandrey as to what will attract crocheters to the LYS! Apparently, the technique of Tunisian is different to most people and the look of entrelac knitting attracted many to want to learn.

I volunteerd to make several crochet swatches for Chris to hang with the various yarns and just finished another one in Kraemer Yarn done in tunisian crochet. It should catch the es of a few knitters. Chris had asked me to make a shop model for the store with Frog Tree 100% alpaca It' a kit and the jacket is called Origami I worked on it for two months and finally gave it to Chris last week. I talked about it last week and posted a pic, but here it is again. Chris is blocking it and then it will go on display.

You are beginning to get the picture about how I say Fuzzy Wuzzy is my home , right? It is comfortable and Chris is building a community of stitchers who are frequenting the store and engaging harmoniously in "fiber frenzy" there and hopefully making her business a success. I would say she is doing most everything right to succeed. I will miss that community when I am gone this winter to Mexico for three months, but I plan on bringing back new ideas and fresh prospective in the Spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc